Nickel alloy 600 / 601
Nickel Chromium Alloys
Alloy 600 and 601 have particular advantages in extreme temperature environments.
Alloy 600 is popular engineering material for applications where resistance to both heat and corrosion is required.
The excellent mechanical properties of the alloy give this material high strength and good workability. Corrosion resistance is good, especially in alkaline environments, and can be used in both cryogenic and elevated temperature service.
Alloy 600 is resistant to a wide range of corrosives.
The alloy provides excellent resistance to alkaline solutions and fair resistance to strongly oxidised acid solutions. It is particularly resistance to attack by dry chlorine or hydrogen chloride, even at temperatures up to 650°C.
- Heat exchangers
- Exhaust liners for aircraft
- Nuclear reactor components
- Production of caustic alkalis
- Chemical and food processing equipment
- Evaporator tubes
- For use in applications from cryogenic to elevated temperatures in the range of 1093 °C
- Good corrosion resistance
- Excellent toughness at sub-zero temperatures
- Good workability combined with high strength
Can be joined by standard resistance and fusion welding processes used for stainless steels.
Alloy 600 is not hardenable by heat treatment
|Min %||Max %|
|Typical Tensile Strength||550 MPa|
|Typical Yield Strength||240 M Pa|
Alloy 601 is a nickel chromium alloy used in high temperature service.
The alloy which also includes aluminium develops a tightly adherent oxide scale which resists spalling even under thermal cycling. Alloy 601 offers good hot corrosion resistance under oxidising conditions and combines good creep and rupture strength.
Alloy 601 nickel alloy is an excellent high temperature material which includes high chromium content. The alloy has excellent resistance to high temperature oxidation. With good ductility retention after long service exposure, the material also offers good creep and rupture strength.
- Radiant tubes
- Industrial furnace retorts
- Annealing tubes
- Rotary kilns
- Infrared radiant screens
- Flame shields
- Thermal processing equipment
- Jet engine igniters
- Excellent high temperature material
- High chromium content
- Excellent resistance to high temperature oxidation
- Good ductility retention after long service exposure
- Good creep and rupture strength
Readily weldable. Preheat or post weld heat treatment are not required.
The work hardened layer makes machining of the material fairly difficult.
|Min %||Max %|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength ksi||100||90||60||34||18|
|2% Yield Strength ksi||54||48||41||26||15|